Sunday, January 8, 2012



Together Forever



I am a fraternal twin. I have a twin brother, Matthew. I don't know if it is the bond of us being twins, or just his being my brother, but he and I are very protective over each other and after 25 years, we are still very close. I feel like if my brother and I moved to different cities, let alone states, I wouldn't be able to handle it. When my brother and I had to move to South Carolina from New York, it devastated us. We had all of our friends we were growing up with there, and we also were about six hours away from where our father lived. Our mother was divorcing our stepfather and wanted a clean start. We were both very young so we didn't know everything surrounding the divorce. Matthew and I knew that we didn't want to leave New York. Obviously we ended up leaving and for the first three months Matthew and I were inseparable. We knew only each other and started making friends, but we were so different coming from New York down to South Carolina. It was a culture shock, but we were there for each other and knew we could count on each other for support.

I can remember one time I was in a bad relationship and my brother came to talk to me about it. He wanted me to end the relationship because he felt it wasn't right for me and he didn't like how I was treated. Any other time, Matthew stays out of my personal life until I come to him, but he was adamant about ending the relationship and living my life for me. Whenever I need my brother, he's always there for me and vice versa. We both will not let anything or anyone come between us. I need to understand why I feel the way I do when it comes to my twin, and I don't feel the same towards my other siblings.

I have chosen this question to research because I want to find out more information as to why there are fraternal and identical twins. I also want to find out if there are any specific genetic codes in each sibling to make them more alike or more different, which can determine each other's bond. I have so many questions as to why my brother and I are so close, but, at the same time, sometimes we feel so far apart. Not being able to answer these questions has led me to researching this topic to try and find those answers and more. I will be doing extensive research to find the answers to my questions.
 

3 comments:

  1. I am excited to see what your research will show! I have also always wondered why there are both fraternal and identical twins, besides the obvious differences in gender. But why are some same sex twins fraternal? I think your blog is going to be very interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catlin, I think that is great. I actually know quite a few fraternal twins. I've seen them grow up together, but as they got older, they seem to want to do their own thing. Is that how it is with you two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am really interested in seeing what your research shows. I’m not a twin but am only 10 months older than my little sister. We were really close as children and very protective of each other. I have also have a sister that is two years older than me and to this day, will tell you that she was envious of the closeness that my younger sister and I had.
    The only thing I see missing from your blog is your name. I didn’t see it anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete