Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fraternal Twins Due to Mother's Side

Fraternal Twins Due to Mother's Side


Matthew & Aneysa, 2 months old with their parents.


            There are twins on both sides of my family. My father’s side has a history of identical twins. His younger brother, Timothy, had an identical brother Phillip, but he passed away after two months. He just wasn’t strong enough and the doctor’s couldn’t save him. There is a history of fraternal twins on my mother’s side. My grandfather had a twin sister, Ruth. Unfortunately both have passed away so there are no questions can ask them about being a fraternal twin like me and Matthew. After looking at my family, I could only assume that fraternal twins are carried on the mother’s side of families, and research has shown that I am correct in my assumption.


            According to research in Finland, most fraternal twin births come from the mother’s lineage (Jane, 1998). Researchers have found that in Westernized countries, fraternal twins are more common than identical twins (Jane, 1998). They say this is due to plentiful and predictable resources and people should reproduce while they can and while their children have the best opportunities for survival (Jane, 1998). This proves that people in Westernized countries versus countries like Africa and Asia, will produce more fraternal twins since their food supply is more certain (Jane, 1998). On the other hand, one geneticist at Stanford University feels that fraternal twins are strongly due to genetics.


            According to Dr. Karen Fitch, fraternal twins are created when the mother releases two eggs and the father practically has nothing to do with creating twins, until his daughters have their own kids (Fitch, 2005). I am a fraternal twin therefore I am at least two and half times likely to have a set of my own fraternal twins than a woman who does not have twins in her family (Fitch, 2005). According to genetics, fraternal twins occur when the mother ovulates twice in one menstrual cycle releasing two eggs that pair with sperm (Fitch, 2005). Genes are involved in the process of fraternal twinning; therefore they affect that process compared to identical twinning (Fitch, 2005). However, a woman’s chances to have fraternal twins can increase based on their nutrition (Fitch, 2005).


            It seems as though that through two different research projects, I have been able to come to the conclusion that there are more fraternal twins based on the mother’s die of someone’s family and diet. Not only are my chances increased because I am a twin, other people who eat healthy and have twins on their mother’s side of the family or father’s side of the family if they are a female, can have twins. I have always wanted to have twins, since I am a twin. I liked being able to grow up with my brother and go through the same things together. I have had someone by my side my whole life and I would really like to have my kids feel the same way by having a twin.



 
Fitch, K. (2005, January 26). Ask a geneticist. Understanding Genetics. Retrieved January 31, 2012, from http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=86.


Jane E., B. (1998, August 11). Study finds more fraternal twins in lands of plenty. Health & Social Work. Retrieved January 30, 2012, from Health & Social Work database.

No comments:

Post a Comment